Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Reflection Post

Monday was a busy day for me. I peer-edited two essays in my English class and I had a test as well. I used annotation the most for the essays because if I highlighted my classmate’s papers I’m pretty sure they wouldn't be too content about it. I also suggested some words that they could use and I underlined what I thought didn't make sense. I put question marks on unclear ideas and also added and took out some punctuation. For the test that I took on Monday I studied like no other. I opened up my English book and I did everything I knew. I highlighted, annotated, summarized, re-read, memorized key terms, underlined key facts, SQ3r, and I even read the captions in the pictures from the book(this last one didn't work at all, well at least I know that Eva Mondreau, 26, exists. Oh, and she has a cell phone too). On Wednesday I have two tests and I have to study for finals in the upcoming week. There are so many strategies that I can use that will make my scores more effective. The one's that I trust the most however, are highlighting and SQ3r. I'll probably use the rest of the strategies that I've learned anyway, but SQ3r lets me know what the reading will be about, and later, when I have to re-read the section again, I can just look at the heading that I re-wrote into a question and I’ll remember what the reading was about. Highlighting just helps me find important paragraphs with really important events or facts, and what I like about this strategy the most is that it's extremely visible. Using symbols like this one (*) also helps me single out key facts that I know will be on the test, and when study time comes, I'll know to remember that for sure. All of these strategies are beneficial to me because they really do help me do better in most of the activities that I apply them to. They even get me more focused on what I'm doing because there is so much to do.

No comments: