Monday, April 21, 2008

Reflection Post

There has not been a worse time for me to use the study skills and reading habits that I have learned. This week I’m going to watch a film in almost all of my classes. I could apply taking notes and annotating the movie but it won't be the same. Next week however, everything changes. I have to peer-edit essays in my English class and I have to study for two tests. There I can apply everything I’ve learned, from highlighting to annotating to SQ3R to even re-reading. The strategies that work the most for me are the methods of SQ3R and highlighting. I’ve noticed that my test scores and even the interest in the subject I’m doing increases drastically when I use these strategies. SQ3R helps me by knowing what the subject is going to cover, I’ll read the heading, make it into a question and I’ll have an idea on what the section I’m covering is about. Highlighting helps me remember very important details and it helps me find them a lot easier, I don't have to re-read the whole section to dissect the main ideas from the reading. I have also noticed that my vocabulary has expanded, I don't use too many big words but I’ll catch myself saying one every now then. This is great because when I have to peer-edit the essays of my class mates, I’ll have more of a probability in understanding the words that my class mates use. Re-reading will also be crucial in the understanding of the essays that my class mates write. After I read the paragraph I have difficulties with twice, I’m pretty sure that not one mistake will get away from me, I’ll also be able to identify the thesis of the paper correctly after I read it twice.

No comments: